Skip to Main Content
Back to top

Labour Department

Employment Agencies Portal


Things you should know when using the service of an employment agency

  • It is not a requirement by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government that foreign domestic helpers have to obtain employment from employment agencies (EAs). Yet, your respective government(s) may have such requirements. Please consult your government’s Consulate representatives in Hong Kong if you have any questions.
  • According to the law, anyone who wishes to provide job-placement services must obtain a licence from the Commissioner for Labour. You should check if the EA possesses a valid licence before using its service. You can check it online (Chinese / English only).
  • According to the Employment Ordinance and Employment Agency Regulations, the maximum commission which may be received by an EA from a job-seeker shall be an amount not exceeding a sum equal to 10% of the first-month's wages received by the job-seeker after he/she has been successfully placed in employment by the EA. The provisions are applicable to all job-seekers.
  • Your EA is prohibited to charge you any fees or expenses, be it directly or indirectly, in relation to the job-placement other than the prescribed commission (which is currently set at 10% of your first-month's wages after successful placement). To protect yourself, you should obtain a receipt from the EA after you have paid the commission.
  • If you suspect yourself being overcharged by an EA, you should report to Employment Agencies Administration (EAA) as soon as possible.
  • According to Part XII of the Employment Ordinance, prosecution of offences of overcharging job-seekers and unlicensed operation of employment agencies has to be made within 12 months after the date of the commission of the offence. Report your case to the authorities immediately to avoid delay.

Protect yourself

  • No one (including your employer or agency) can compel you to surrender your personal identification documents (e.g. Hong Kong identity card, passport etc.), properties (e.g. Bank’s ATM card) or publications/documents about your rights etc.
  • You should not sign any document or contract, which you do not understand its content or do not agree with.
  • Your EA should not ask you to take up loans for repaying agency fees or training fees.
  • You should not provide any false information (e.g. your wages, your employment address) in your contract. You may be liable for an offence for doing so.
  • LD has promulgated the Code of Practice for Employment Agencies(Text Version), in which the salient legislative requirements that EAs must follow, and the standards which the Commissioner for Labour expects from EAs are included. You may make reference to the Code of Practice for Employment Agencies when engaging EAs.

Where to seek help?

  • If you suspect yourself being overcharged by an EA, you should report to EAA as soon as possible.
    • Telephone: 2115 3667
    • Address: Unit 906, 9/F, One Mong Kok Road Commercial Centre, 1 Mong Kok Road, Kowloon
    • Fax: 2115 3756
    • Online Complaint Form
  • If you are physically abused, you should call the Police at “999”.
  • If your wages are not paid in full and on time, not being granted rest days and holidays, or suspect any of your labour rights being infringed, you should approach the Labour Department through the following channels
  • Contact Social Welfare Department:
  • Contact your government’s Consulate-General in Hong Kong (arranged in alphabetical order):

Foreign Domestic Helpers Portal

  • This portal provides information relating to employment of foreign domestic helpers (FDHs) in Hong Kong, including the policy on importation of FDHs, as well as the publication and publicity materials on the rights and obligations of FDHs and their employers under the labour laws and the Standard Employment Contract for hiring FDHs. Both FDHs and their employers are encouraged to read the information in this website as well as the relevant materials before entering into a contract, or during the course of employment.

Foreign Domestic Helpers Portal

Special language needs

  • Interpretation service will be arranged free of charge where necessary to ensure that your access to our service will not be hampered owing to language barriers. If you so wish, you can also bring in your own interpreters when you seek for free conciliation service or file a complaint to the Labour Department. Centre for Harmony and Enhancement of Ethnic Minority Residents (CHEER) is one of the support service centres funded by the Home Affairs Department (HAD) of HKSAR Government to provide accessible services to ethnic minorities in Hong Kong. Please click below for details of the services that CHEER provides.

I am ...

An existing or a potential

employment agency operator or staff



I am ...

Looking for a licensed

employment agency



I am ...

A foreign domestic helper